What are indeterminate varieties of tomatoes and what is the difference and difference from determinant tomatoes?
For beginning gardeners at the beginning of winter, the question arises: what type of tomato should be preferred when growing, which varieties should be cultivated in a greenhouse, and which in an open garden. To get acquainted with the types and varieties of tomatoes, you need to know what an indeterminate kind of tomato is, since it is often used for growing in small areas.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
What does indeterminate tomato variety mean?
This means that the bush has unlimited growth, and it can be more than 2 m. Marks. In a heated greenhouse, growth does not stop, and the species can produce 45 brushes with normal ovaries according to the variety.
Therefore, in conditions of medium latitude of Russia, the top should be removed from this type of tomato so that those tomatoes that are already tied in the bush have time to mature.
Important!Indeterminate tomatoes can be grown in the southern and middle regions of Russia.
The main differences between determinant and indeterminate and other tomatoes
|Index||Determinant type||Indeterminate type|
|Bush growth||The bush grows to the height declared in the variety.||Unlimited growth, bush requires removal of the top.|
|Bush formation||It does not require tying.||Requires mandatory garters.|
|Brush structure||The brushes are not large. Tomatoes can flicker towards the top.||Collected in large brushes with tomatoes of the same size and shape|
|Stepson education||Plentiful.||The average.|
|Harvest maturity||Tomatoes ripen immediately in a short space of time.||Tomatoes ripen throughout the summer and until the first autumn frosts.|
|Recommended cultivation regions||All regions of Russia||Only the southern and part of the middle regions of Russia.|
What is the difference between seeds?
In indeterminate varieties, seeds have a larger diameter and stand out noticeably from the rest of the varieties.
Differences in seedlings
Even at the stage of seed hatching, indeterminate bushes are already distinguished by their longer knee. It reaches 3-5 cm. Growing seedlings, it also stands out larger and has a strong powerful stalk.
What does an adult plant look like, especially a bush?
Adult bushes grow powerful, and after 2 weeks the greenhouse turns into a jungle. Provided that for tomato bushes appropriate care is organized.
Types of Indeterminate Tomato
The indeterminate type of tomato is divided into species by size and color of the fruit:
- Large-fruited with a mass of 500-1000 gr.;
- Medium fruit with a mass of 80-90 gr.;
- Small-fruited with a mass of 30-50 gr.;
There are many different types of indeterminate tomatoes and all of them are very pleasing to the gardener with the unique taste of the fruit.
- Bushes of this type are tall and they grow them in one trunk, tying vertically to the support. This method increases the amount of yield and this guarantees approximately 16 kg. From one meter square;
- Tomato bushes virtually no diseasethat are inherent in tomatoes, during cultivation, the lower leaf plates are removed to ripen the tomato, and this increases the access of fresh air, helping to fight against fungal diseases;
- Stretched fruiting period - usually lasts until the first severe cooling. In the southern regions of Russia, the end of fruiting can be considered the end of October;
- Care is pretty simple, since this type of bush is cultivated in one stem, all stepsons are removed.
- Harvesting for a summer resident is simple, will not have to bend or crawl on his knees.
- To cultivate an indeterminate bush, high supports are needed;
- To get a big crop you need to have a long warm period;
- Permanent removal of stepsons.
The best indeterminate varieties
There are a lot of such varieties and the best of them are:
- “Miracle of the Earth” - an early ripening variety, while the bush grows to a height of 2 m. Tomatoes have a heart shape and weigh up to 500 g. The variety is drought tolerant, the fruits do not crack during heavy irrigation and tolerate transportation well.
- "Christina Plume" - the height of the bush reaches a mark of 2 m. With proper care, the yield is 8 kg. from the bush. The fruit in the form of cream has a tiger color.
- "Cherokee" - the fruits are collected in the brush and ripen in it at the same time, the fruits do not crack. The variety is popular among gardeners.
- "Star Gold" - the fruits are collected in a brush, each separately taken yellow shade tomato has a mass of 30 grams. The variety is not whimsical to the soil.
- "St. Andrew's surprise" - the fruits grow to almost 1 kg. Ripening of the first fruits begins on 120 days after seed germination. Variety of universal application.
Which indeterminate varieties are suitable for open ground
For outdoor cultivation, it is better to pay attention to such varieties:
- “Bull Heart” is the most popular variety among gardeners. Sugar fruits with a mass of 500 g. Do not crack. Productivity of a grade is 5 kg. from the bush.
- "Abakan pink" - has a mid-ripening ripening period, the height of the bush reaches a mark of 180 cm. The fruits are shaped like a heart and have a pink color. Fruit weight 300 gr.
- "King of Siberia" - the best variety among tomatoes, painted in orange. Large and sugary fruits reach 1 kg. The variety is resistant to disease.
- "Japanese crab" - a new variety, maturing period of 120 days from the moment of seedling germination. Fruits flattened from the poles have ribbing and a red tint.
- "Black Sea" - affects not only the unusual color of the fetus, but also its excellent taste. Productivity even in bad weather conditions is 4 kg. from one bush.
- “Honey saved” - the bush reaches a mark of 2 m. For the full ripening of tomatoes, they will need 110 days from the moment of seed germination. The shape of the fruit resembles a heart, the color is orange. Leads in sugar content in pulp. The mass of tomato is 170 gr. The yield from the bush is 6 kg.
What indeterminate varieties are suitable for greenhouses
In greenhouses, many varieties of indeterminate type can be grown, but the leaders are:
- "Dream of the lover" - a variety of late ripening, the fruits are red and reach 600 gr. With proper care, the yield from one tomato bush is 10 kg.
- "Martha" - mid-term ripening has a large yield of the crop. Fruits are sugary and fleshy, the mass of the fruit is 130 g. the variety is resistant to diseases and tolerates transportation well.
- “Orange Miracle” - the fruits are marked with good taste and have an orange tint of dense tomato mass. The fruits reach a weight of 150 g.
- "Octopus" is a mid-ripening variety. Marked by the rapid growth of the vegetative mass of the bush. If you do not follow the plantings of this variety, then the bush without formation grows to 6 m. The variety has a good yield aligned with the shape and weight of the fruit. Suitable for conservation.
- "De Barao" - a high variety reaches 2 m. The fruits, depending on the subspecies, may be: red; yellow; pink; black ones. Bushes can grow and produce fruits under almost any conditions, even if they do not grow much in partial shade. The fruits are marked with good taste and reach 60-80 gr.
- "Solar Circle" - has good indicators of resistance to stressful situations. It resists diseases that are inherent in tomato bushes. Tomatoes build up a mass of 300 gr., The shape is round, the color is light orange. The taste is sugar.
How to stepchild?
You need to pinch tomatoes in the morning and preferably in sunny weather. This will help the wounds to heal quickly, and rot will not develop at the cut site. Stepsons must be removed regularly until they have reached 5 cm in length.
Important! When breaking out a stepson, a 2 cm long stump must be left. This will slow down the growth of new stepsons in this place.
Landing and care
The main stages of planting and care of tomato beds:
- Sowing of seeds begins in late February. To do this, they are checked for germination and treated with growth stimulants;
- Sown in containers filled with nutritious and loose earth, covered with glass and set a warm place without direct sunlight;
- When the seedlings emerge, the shelter is removed and further care consists of watering and turning in different directions with respect to the sun;
- When there are 2-3 real leaves on the seedling bushes, they begin to dive the seedlings into separate containers;
- In May-June, depending on the region of cultivation, seedlings are planted without thickening planting;
- For the garden a certain care is required:
- Timely watering;
- Weed removal;
- Fertilizer application.
Observing all this, you can get a crop that is specified by the manufacturer.
Possible mistakes when growing
Sometimes inexperienced gardeners complain that tomatoes are not like the stated description. But if you consider carefully, how the cultivation of tomatoes was very often seen the following errors:
- Bushes are grown not in one stalk;
- No stepsoning;
- The introduction of mineral fertilizing is not carried out;
- There is no timely watering;
- Loosening the soil around the tomato bush is not done.
It is necessary to take care of tomato bushes and then the harvest will be the same as stated in the description.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do they begin to plant seedlings of indeterminate tomatoes?
Depends on the region of cultivation 70 days before planting in the ground.
Is it necessary to remove the lower leaf plates during cultivation?
They are removed gradually, so as not to cause stress in the bush, to the height of a ripening tomato. It also improves air circulation.
How many trunks form the stem?
One less than two in case the first one can break.
In order to get excellent tomatoes with good taste corresponding to the variety behind the tomato bed, care must be taken. And then the output will be a crop that will delight the owner of the garden.